Thursday, April 30, 2009

Dave's side of the story

I don’t think anyone knows this but just maybe a few people. I have had this whole thing planned out for a LONG time. I just had to convince Loren that it was the right day to say yes. We have had this ongoing thing about "is today the day". I would jokingly ask "Today?" And Loren would respond with either "yes "or "no, not today". About a year ago now I started planting the seed in Loren’s head about going to NYC with mom. She just kind of blew it off. As time went on I kept saying that you should go to NYC with mom and the idea kind of grew on her. Mom helped a lot along the way by saying how exciting that it would be (little did mom know why I wanted Loren to go at the time).

When the right time came and Loren was for sure going to be able to go to NYC I had lots of things to do in a short period of time. Just before UA’s spring break I told my mom and dad what I was planning to do. I think that thought it was a great idea and were very proud of me. The day after Loren left to go to the beach for 10 days I put my plan in action. Mom was coming to Birmingham to meet her sisters for lunch so I decided that I would just be so bored that I would drive up and join them (at least that's what I told her). Loren had no idea why I was going. I had to go to pick up the “little” diamond that my great aunt had given me to give to the right girl. A week later I made the trip to Jasper to pick out the band and have the ring set. So I had most of my duties done and she had no clue. I bought plane tickets and I booked a hotel room just a few blocks down the road from where she was going to stay. I only had one thing left to do on my list and that was what I thought was going to be the hardest. I had to ask her mom and dad!

A-day was coming up and her mom and dad were coming into town. One week left until the big day. I thought that this would be a great time to ask because Sam loves football and his daughter. Maybe I could just slip it in right after a touchdown. But the rainy weather kept them from joining the other 85000 crazy people that came to watch practice so I was out of luck. I had to make the drive to Pell City. And let me assure you that it was the longest 1 ½ hour drive I have ever taken. Once I got there instead of making a left into their neighborhood I took a right into the bank parking lot to gather my thoughts. I called them to be sure they were home and off I went. Once in the house I made small talk for a minute or so and then I said “Well now I am going to tell you the real reason I am here.” You would have thought that somebody propped both of their mouths open. I asked Sam for his permission and his first statement was “That’s shocking.” What are you supposed to say to that? After what I thought was the LONGEST talk of my life both her mom and dad gave me the go ahead. The rest of the story is history. Or at least Loren told it in her post last night.

2 comments:

  1. You are O.K I am really proud of you. You made a good selection for a wife. I like the Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You think asking her dad was tough...I had to ask your grandpa:)

    ReplyDelete