Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!

In honor of today being Earth Day, I wanted to share a little story:

Being in Peds clinical these last few weeks, I've definitely been impressed at the way teachers and nurses can manipulate questions in order to get down on a young child's level and make them think! Take for example, one teacher was trying to engage her kids in their craft activity for the day and was teaching them about the world. She was telling them about how most of our land is encompassed by water (which is blue) and the other parts are the land people live on (the green). She then took and traced their little hands (and I got to help... I was super excited). While sitting in circle time, she then took each piece of the activity - a round blue circle, random cut-outs of green and their hands - and asked them about a sound they sing, "I've got the whole world, in my hands" (obviously manipulated slightly - eek!). She asked them what they thought that meant, to have the whole world in their hands. At that moment, I found myself wrapped up in her question.

I know that my GOD has the whole world in HIS hands, but what would it mean for us to ask ourselves that question? Is it opportunity... adventure... the chance to make our world better? That's a hard question for me to answer, much less kids somewhere ranging in the toddler to preschool years. But, then again, I do tend to over analyze, so maybe that's my problem. Maybe the simplistic minds of children really do have it all figured out! Wouldn't that be amazing!

Happy Earth Day! Maybe you found a way to contribute to the betterment of our world. I don't use hairspray, I eat off of regular dishes and I drink a LOT of water, so I'm thinking I'm doing considerably well... but there's always room for improvement :)

No comments:

Post a Comment