Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sourdough Waffles

Have you ever had Ninnie's sourdough waffles?

I hadn't until last Sunday, and boy was I missing out. I used to think Waffle House was pretty darn good, but I was w.r.o.n.g.

After leaving the lake, we headed straight to Ninnie's for a little visit and catch up session. Earlier in the week, Dave had called Ninnie to inquire about making waffles and she just happened to remember in enough time to whip us up some of her special sourdough waffle mix! She told us how she had been tending to this sourdough starter since the early 70's and how you have to keep adding certain ingredients back into the bowl to keep the contents up, and told us that when we felt we were ready to tend to such a task, she would send us home with some of our own.

At first I was a little skeptical about whether or not we needed such a thing, but after Davis woke up early Sunday morning before church and started whipping those baby's out, I now understand. We quickly decided that we needed to make Ninnie's waffles every Saturday morning and that in order to do that, we were going to need a starter. Dave quickly informed me that he could eat them every day for breakfast, but to that I quickly reminded him that they were only for Saturday morning.

So, in true traditional form, this Ashley house had waffles yesterday morning for breakfast... and now we're completely OUT of waffle mix. Good news though: Dave's going home at the end of the week, and should be coming home with a little starter (hopefully). Here's to hoping I'm not the size of the side of a barn within the next month.



Special thanks to Ninnie: You're wondrous and delicious cooking never ceases to amaze me! Thank you for teaching me and loving me as your own! I cherish the special time spent in your kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment