Sunday, July 3, 2011

Working on the Night Shift

Wow-zers.

Work's been going great over the last six weeks or so, but this last week I started my normal shift on nights. To say it was an adjustment isn't even coming close!

If you know Dave and I at all, you know Ashby gets us up every morning between 6:30 and 7:00 am. From that point on, we're going full steam ahead. So imagine, just for a second, trying to keep the puppy quiet long enough for me to sleep all day and then make her understand what I won't be coming back again in time for bed time. Not only does Dave manage to keep Ashby quiet, but we always have a bowl of cereal together while watching The Today Show when I get home. After breakfast, Snuff and I have a little snuggle time and then it's bedtime.

That's pretty much been our routine this last week, and will continue until the end of time... No, not really, but for the immediate future, however. As far as the shift change goes, it's pretty great. The pace on night's is completely different than working days, but it's a good different. I like seeing the other side and feel like having this experience is only going to make me stronger - both as a nurse and a wife.

Dave and I are both on this learning curve together, so working through how things need to change has been interesting. He's done a fabulous job holding down the daily stuff I obviously can't take care of anymore, all the while keeping Snuff-a-luff-a-gus (Ashby) quiet and making dinner! Yep, ladies, that's right. My man makes dinner - and the good kind, too :)




Thursday afternoon he woke me up saying he had a surprise. Little did I know he had been slaving away grilling chicken, boiling fresh corn and making fried okra! Homemade meals are the best, but they're even better when the one you love surprises you!

Heading out to work on a full tummy was definitely good for the soul that evening, but it made me long for morning even more than the days before. I'm finding out more and more every day what a catch God placed in my life... and I get more and more excited about him every day.

(Dave and Ashby walk me out every afternoon and wave as I leave. If this doesn't make you want to turn the car around, I don't know what does.)

No comments:

Post a Comment