Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sunday's Homemade Dinner

Ever been away from home on a Sunday and yearned for that home cooked meal?

Welcome to my weekly desire :) There's something about knowing your mom is at home cooking a wonderful meal and you're stuck eating another Lean Cuisine. Today, however, I became domestic in many ways. After laundry and cleaning (most everything), and of course catching everyone up with blogs, I decided that a good meal was in order. Chicken is among one of the easiest things to freeze and since Dave doesn't eat the majority of what I like, freezing stuff allows me to cook just enough without wasting stuff! Frozen veggies are also great! Fresh ones are good and all, but please remember: I'm the only one that eats them! So, on tonight's menu:

Baked Chicken Breast - seasoned with most everything I could find in my cabinet... heavily!
Steamed Broccoli
Black-Eyed Peas - seasoned with salt and garlic
Homemade Cornbread (No worries, these were pre-made by Mom!)


YUMMY is all I can say! I was rather proud of myself and elated that it was so good :) I have been working on cooking things at the appropriate "times" so that nothing's cold when you get ready to eat. This has been quite the task at times. Growing up I always wondered how my mom knew exactly when to start everything in order to get it to the table still steamy hot. I mastered that this afternoon (with this meal at least)!

Can you tell I'm excited? Granted, this is not the first time I've ever cooked (I have lived by myself before), but baked chicken has been a new adventure for me since Christmas. Dave usually just grills stuff for me, but I think I like my baked chicken even better :)

1 comment:

  1. I had a terrible time getting the timing right at first! You'll get it. The more you cook, the more you figure out what will work. I used to ALWAYS burn my bread! Steve would get so mad!

    ReplyDelete