Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Racing... OH BOY!

If you're a part of the Ashley family, then you probably are a lover of racing. If you are part of the Brown family, you've never really understood the fascination behind it (beyond the fact that twice a year, our town becomes impossible to navigate through due to the impossible traffic from the local race track - it's horrible).

A couple of weeks ago, though, while on a trip to Rome, Sandye had saved a very informative newspaper article for me. She was thinking of me in a Ashley family kind of way! She had saved this:
It is a two page summary of every Nascar driver one may find racing on Sunday... At first I thought it may be some kind of a joke. Then, I was waiting for Sandye's inner-teacher side to come out and say something like, "OK. You've got one hour to learn the names and report back!". That wasn't the case either. It was a friendly little introduction into a world that I have been so far removed from for just about my entire life - until I met Dave, that is. Since that point (four years ago), Sunday's, for the better 3/4's of the year, have been spent in front of some television, watch cars go ROUND and ROUND and ROUND, then WRECK! Oh... But wait! Have I happened to mention Dave's favorite driver yet? I bet you could pick him! (Sorry about the picture, I tried downloading it several times, and it always flipped this way.)
Yep. You guessed it. Dale, Jr!

Now, I will admit, the last 25 laps or so are slightly exciting, and I don't mind watching... But the other ten million hours they go ROUND and ROUND, I would rather be doing something else - and I'm completely fine with finding my own Sunday afternoon rituals - most of the time... :)
Special to Dave: Here's to attempting to like YOUR Sunday afternoon ritual... maybe... every once in a while... if it's raining outside...!

4 comments:

  1. You definitely don't have to be a "lover" of racing to be a part of the Ashley family! I've managed to avoid that for the last 29 years of my life so if you need tips on other activities for Sunday afternoons, I could write a book on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom and I highly recommend shopping for a "feel good outfit" to wear on Mondays as a great during the race activity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sound of the engines always puts me right to sleep! I watch the first and the end, if I wake up for it!

    ReplyDelete